Individuals Looking for Tax Support
Where to Go for Help with Tax Preparation
- National Association of Tax Professionals Personal tax preparers in Washington State
- AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Program (offered February 1 – April 18)
- The program offers free tax return preparation to anyone who needs it. AARP Foundation Tax-Aide volunteers are trained to help you file a variety of income tax forms and schedules. Focus on taxpayers over 50 years old.
- Locate sites near me
- United Way of King County Free Tax Preparation Help (offered February 2 – April 21)
- IRS-certified volunteers are available virtually and in person at multiple locations across King County to offer you free tax preparation assistance.
- Anyone who earned less than $70,000 can use United Way’s Free Tax Preparation services. However, some returns are too complex for our volunteers. For example, we cannot prepare returns for income earned in other states. For a full list of returns that cannot be prepared by Free Tax Help, visit United Way King County.
Individuals Looking for Tax Support cont'd
United Way of King County’s Free Tax Help can handle most returns, including self-employment and for international students. However, some returns are considered out-of-scope, per IRS regulations.
Returns with the following cannot be prepared at Free Tax Help sites
- Income/loss from rental property
- Active military pay
- Moving expenses
- Household employees
- Farm income/loss
- Credit from forms 4136, 2439, 8839 (adoption credit), 8801, 8885
- Affordable Care Act: Parts IV (Shared Policy Allocation) and V (Alternative Calculation for Year of Marriage) of Form 8962
- The following types of business returns:
- Business expenses in excess of $25,000
- Business showing a net loss
- Employee taxes
- Depreciation or amortization
- Inventory at year-end
- Business using accrual-based accounting
- Business use of home expenses
- Prior year disallowed passive activity loss